8.25.2012

who says shoes don't grow on trees?

sneaker trees of lyndonville, new york

Have you ever seen a shoe tree? 

I hadn't until my husband took me to see one a few miles from our home. What a sight, dozens and dozens of shoes just dangling like fruits on a vine from not just one tree, but FOUR trees....






Bob tells me these maple trees have been decorated with shoes since he first heard about them over 20 years ago.  I snapped these pics in early spring before the leaves sprung, without the leaves you can get a good idea of how many there actually are.





It is amazing how something kooky like this gets started and remains going for so many years. Local tradition states that before you toss your old shoes...make a wish, if the shoes stick and hang without falling then your wish will come true. Very cool!

 the lyndonville sneaker trees have been profiled on the site weird u.s. 
America's travel guide to local legends and best kept secrets

No comments: