9.03.2012

house DIY: sweet surprise behind wall

100 year old clapboard

 This labor day weekend my husband was working on replacing some of the vinyl siding along our kitchen deck.  When he pulled off the vinyl strapping, he found 100 year old clapboard from when our farmhouse was built.  We discovered that the house was originally painted a slate blue...so neat.








And for added insulation, the original builder padded behind the clapboards, old layers of old newspapers and wallpaper.  Some of the newspaper was still readable.

terrible itching, burning, smarting, swelling.....

remnants of victorian wallpaper

Bob needed to remove the clapboard to properly insulate the wall, but we are going to rescue it and save it from the burn pile :) and try to re-purpose it in some way.


bob hard at work

I'm excited because I do already have an idea for a clapboard project. I would like to make a rustic backdrop that I can use for my Etsy shop photos. I'm thinking of nailing several planks to a small sheet of plywood and then whitewash them with white milk paint or chalk paint.  They are already distressed and very old, I would love that!



No comments: